Thursday, October 9, 2008

Primary Children's Hospital

Dawson was born with a lipoma (fatty tumor) in his spinal column.  It is quite large, but they cannot do surgery because it is intertwined into his spinal column and removing it could cause him to be paralyzed or even death.  My poor baby has had three surgeries so far.  One at 6 months, 5 and 7.  As he grows the tumor becomes teathered with his spinal chord.  He is checked out every year at Primary Children's in Salt Lake City to determine if surgery is needed again.  Once he stops growing, he will not longer need surgery (most likely, there are those rare occasions when someone does).  The problem is that every time they do surgery they risk permanent damage, but if they don't do surgery permanent damage will be done.  It is a tricky situation.  They try to catch it at the right times.  Permanent damage for him if they don't do surgery is an uncontrollable bladder (he would have to ware a bag all his life) or walking issues. Whatever damage is done inside by the teathering it is irreversible.  All very confusing I know. We went to is annual appointment on Tuesday.  There are some troubling signs for the doctors so next month he will have to have an MRI and an urodynamics test to determine if surgery is needed.  When he has surgery he is in the hospital for five days.  After surgery he has lay completely flat for 48 hours.  Before they let him go home he has to walk (which is extremely painful) and poop (make sure his body is working properly).  He gets so scared at the thought of surgery.  I am so proud of him and can't imagine the pain he is in and goes through.  As his mom I just wish I could go through the surgery for him and take on his pain.  He is a remarkable child.  I love him and am so glad he is in our lives.


Dawson at 6 months.

Dawson at 5

Dawson's scare on his back

3 comments:

Dacia said...

Wow, I never knew all that. I sure hope everything goes well with the MRI. It must be so hard as a mother to watch your child go through that. Dawson is a tropper!

Lacey said...

Poor guy, I have a niece who has also had at least 4 surgeries and she's only 5. I can't imagine what it's like to be a child and have to go through that and to be a mom and have your child suffer is horrible. What can we do for you?

Deb said...

Keep us posted on how he does. I had completely forgotten about that. I'm so glad you started the blog so I can keep up with your growing family!