Sunday, October 5, 2008
The Substitute Teacher
Well, one day I was bored and started browsing the internet. I decided to check out the Madison School District website and found myself checking out the employment opportunities. Next thing I know I have applied to be a substitute teacher. I never thought anything would come of it. A few days later I got a call from the principal of Kennedy Elementary to come in for an interview. So, I did and was hired. I never thought they would actually call me to work. They did. So, Friday I spent the day teaching 2nd grade. I was so scared. I felt like it was the first day of school again. When I first arrived the kids were so nice and excited. Then five minutes later a boy asked me something and I said "no", he proceeds to scream and scream and scream. So, I calmly ask him to stop or he will have to go in the hall. He screams louder. So, I again calmly go over and try to lift him out of his chair so I can take him out in the hall. He proceeds to wrap his legs around the desk so I cannot lift him up. So, I go to the office and ask for the prinicpal. He is nowhere to be found. The office lady comes to help me. By the time we get back he is now laying on the floor screaming. She tells him to get up, he screams no at her. So she grabs his arm and starts dragging him out of the classroom. He is screaming the whole time, "you are going to break my arm." She yells "then get up." So he just keeps screaming, then stops and says "if you are going to drag me, at least do it by my foot." Well, after that incident, the day went really well. I actually had such a good time. The first job I have ever had that I enjoyed. The day went quickly and I loved the kids. I can't wait until they call again. A special thanks to my friend Camille for watching my girls. They had a blast. Your the best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Tammy,
Fun first day subbing. I can say that not all sub days are like that. I am going into my 4th year subbing in the Davis School District. I do prefer the upper grades, they are a little easier to handle. K-2 is sometimes tough. I do enjoy it though. Good luck. Jeana
Please don't tell me that was my son!
Sounds like an interesting first day. Good for you for applying and congrats.
Post a Comment