Friday, October 17, 2008

1996 Continued

The Sunday after the activity where I met David, he called and invited me up to watch a video and have brownies with a "group" of friends.  His family had just moved to St. George, Utah and he remained in his house with his brother and they rented rooms to four other guys.  David was finishing up his senior year at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah.  The thing I noticed the most about the house was how clean it was for 6 guys living there.  Later in the week David called to invite me to a hockey game at the Delta Center.  The "group" was going that Friday. We met at the church and I ended up riding with David and his friend Adam.  I got into David's car and sat in the back.  We started heading down to Salt Lake and "oh my gosh" something smelled so bad.  It smelled like poop.  I was almost gagging in the back seat.  I was trying to hold my breath and not smell but still be nice and carry on a conversation.  It ended up being Adam, David's friend, who had the worse case of bad breath ever.  Every time he spoke it permeated the whole car.  It was nasty.  I had a great time at the hockey game.  David can dance the Macarana like no other.  I loved his personality.  He was so fun.  A few weeks later the "group" went to Wendover, Nevada.  We all met at the church again so we could carpool.  I volunteered to take my car, but I didn't want to drive.  David conveniently volunteered to drive my car.  So, David, his brother Stephen and I rode together to Wendover (a 2 hour ride).  David and I talked nonstop the whole way there.  I even forgot Stephen was in the car.  Sorry Stephen! I asked David what he wanted to do when he graduated.  He said, "I want to get my PhD so I can be known as Dr. Dave."  While everyone else was gambling in Wendover, David and I went and played pool.  We made a bet that whoever lost would have to make the other dinner (no fail date).  I won the first game and he won the next two.  So, I had to make him dinner.  The following Sunday I went to his house for brownies and games again with the "gang."  When it was time to go, he walked me to the car.  There he made his first real move.  He just leaned in and gave me a peck on the lips.  I loved it.  It was so innocent and sweet.  I knew then that I was a goner that I really could love this man.  The following Thursday we went to his counsin's wedding reception.  The next six weeks we were together every day.  This was the end of October.

No comments: