Friday, October 17, 2008

Our Engagement

It was thanksgiving and I had yet to meet anyone from David's family.  After all, we had only been dating six weeks.  His parents were coming up from St. George for Thanksgiving dinner. It was also David's birthday the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  We went and spent Wednesday night with my family at their cabin in the Unitah Mountains.  David left Thursday morning and I was going to come down Thursday night to meet his parents.  David just told his parents that a friend was coming over and wanted them to meet me.  They thought it was just some guy.  I showed up and they were a little surprised, but nothing big.  We talked about 30 minutes and they left.  On Saturday I went to lunch for his birthday with his family.  Spent about an hour with them and that night we went to a hockey game.  Again we spent about 2 hours with them. So total now, I have spent about 3-4 hours with them.  They still suspected nothing, they thought we were just friends.  Saturday after the hockey game David and I were talking in his room (seriously, just talking) and listening to music and he just out of the blue said he thought we should get married.  We decided since tomorrow (Sunday) was fast Sunday we would fast and pray to know if it was right.  David's parents left Sunday morning to return to St. George, still suspecting nothing.  After a sincerely fasting and praying, David and I both decided that this was what was right and we should be married.  It was December 1.  David had two more quarters left of school before he graduated.  We decided that March or even June after graduation would be good.  We went to my parents house and told them our news.  They were thrilled.  So happy and excited for us.  When we told them we were thinking about March or June, my Dad said "why not December."  We are like that is now.  And he said "I know."  He convinced us that it would be better so we decided that if they could throw a wedding together in 4 weeks we would do it.  We called David's parents.  They had just arrived back in St. George. Did we surprise them or what.  David's Dad was happy, but his Mom was not.  She was so surprised.  In fact, it took her over a year to really come to accept our marriage.  She was always nice, just in shock.  So, the next four weeks we planned a wedding, or should I say my Mom and I planned a wedding.  David and his family went on a cruise for 10 days to the Bahamas.  



Engagement Poses (Stupid I know)


1 comment:

Dacia said...

What a great story! Who knew you guys were engaged for so short of a time! It took my mom sometime to accept Matthew too. I don't think his mom will ever accept me though. Whatev!